QSport is the representative body for organised, affiliated sport in Queensland and by dint of its extensive membership of mainly State sporting organisations representative of their sporting activity throughout Queensland, is accepted by government as the industry peak body for sport in the State.
Established formally in 1992, QSport is incorporated as an independent industry based collective.
Its mission is to enhance the development of sport in Queensland by working to promote and sustain interest in the development of organised sport in the State by:
- assisting in the coordination of broad, long term planning for sport in the State
- assisting in the coordination of optimum use of sports facilities and other sporting resources in the State
- seeking and identifying direct or indirect funding sources which could be made available for the development of sport in the State, aiming to ensure that these funds are put to their most effective use
- providing members with forums for the exchange of information, advice and assistance, where appropriate
- formulating policies on any subject pertaining to sport by the collection and collation of the views of members and presenting both the majority and minority view to any other organisation, institution or body governmental, semi-governmental or otherwise as appropriate
- promoting the role of QSport and sport by, amongst other things, the establishment and presentation of awards of merit or any similar form of recognition for skill, service and ability
QSport is analogous to the Sports Federations of other Australian States and Territories on the national scene. A formal agreement exists between these organisations to promote 'Sport for All Australians'.